Thursday, November 4, 2010

The little things...

I've been doing some smaller projects, but they make a difference, don't they? I wish I had a before picture for this vanity chair, but it was beyond bad, so it's just as well that I not show it to you. I'm going with the coastal look in my bedroom too, but I couldn't resist putting a little zebra pop in there too. I mean, I've never actually seen a Zebra at the beach, but... If I were a zebra, I would most certainly be at the beach.






Sorry about the picture quality, I think it's time to change the battery in the Nikon.

Anyhoooo, the chair was dark stained and had a uber thin pad for the seat. I laid a standard size pillow on top of the chair and it was exactly the size of the chair's seat. So I just slapped that pillow on top of the existing seat and stapled the fabric over it. It looks pretty good and I love the fluffiness. I did a sloppy whitewash paintjob but liked the look of it. So instead of painting a 3rd coat to correct my sloppiness, I just went with it and did the sanding to age it. I didn't prime it but it didn't yellow, which is more than I can say for my dresser. That's another story. Inexperienced furniture refinisher here.

I've been busy doing little things like making this little starfish garland. I got this mirror at a yard sale a few years ago, it's one of my favorite little finds. I didn't have to do anything to make it pretty, just hung her up on the wall. And she was only $15!



When my hubs and I were in our early 20's, I loved pretty vintage things but we just couldn't afford them. We lived in Asheville, NC at the time and there were amazing antique stores and Vintage Flea Markets. But, alas, I only window shopped. One day my husbands truck broke down. While he waited for me to come fetch him, he looked off on the side of the road and down an embankment there was a pile of trash-- old mattresses, a fridge, rusty old lawn furniture. Someone had sadly dumped their junk on the side of the road. My husband looked closer and saw a gem amidst the trash, all wet and covered in leaves. He dug it out and we brought it home. It spent years in our sheds, and traveled with us from NC to Colorado. I just pulled her out of the shed the other day, determined to finally use her. As long as she is hiding in the shed, she won't inspire anyone. Hopefully my hubs will get tired of seeing her on the back deck and will help me do something special with her. We've tossed around some ideas and have finally settled on what we'll do. Now I just have to motivate my husband, or bribe him with chocolate, whatever it takes. :-)




So here's the plan... We're going to hang the door behind our front door, on the wall. This is where we normally throw our shoes when we come in the house. We're going to build a little seat with cubbies under it to store shoes. We'll put coat hangers on it, somewhere, to hang jackets and scarves. But what about those windows? One of the pieces of glass is missing, which I can replace for $5 or so. No biggie. But should I replace it with glass? Mirror? Maybe just some wood and paint it with chalkboard paint? I like the latter idea, but am thinking that bulky jackets hanging on it would end up getting chalk dust all over them. My husband, Jeremy, likes the idea of putting mirror in it. But I worry it is too busy looking? What would you do?

Anyhow, these are just a couple little projects that went down over the week. I want to get started on the door this weekend, while there are a few drops of outdoor sunshine goodness left. But, I also want to paint the living room sooooooo bad. So, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for stopping by, for leaving comments, and for inspiring me with your creativity. Have a good night!

~*Stephanie~*

3 comments:

  1. It would be neat as a chalk board, but you could also replace the glass and stick photos behind the glass. That way when there are not lots of jackets hanging on it, it will look pretty. It will also be a nice conversation piece as friends stop in and hang up their jackets, they'll want to look at the photos, then remark on what a neat piece of furniture you have created! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great idea, Melissa! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mirror idea~you could do a quick check before leaving the house.

    I like how your little bench turned out. Will you be doing a tutorial on the starfish garland? It's really cute, too.

    ReplyDelete