Friday, October 22, 2010

Layered Fluffy Bedding

I've been planning to make my own bedding for awhile, it's on my list (which is very long) of things I want to do. I want that fluffy, light, squishy, cozy bedding that is like a layered cloud of cotton.

I've always wanted Anthro bedding. I started browsing their catalog in 2003 (when it was a little more affordable), dreaming of cuddling inside a brightly colored quilt. Now I'm not so much in love with the bright colored bedding, I'm more into this white Cirrus Duvet...



So, rather than pay $208 for it, I'm going to make it. My sewing machine is a champ with the ruffling, so I think it will come out nice. The only thing I will do different is use a fabric similar to linen that I found at WalMart for $2.50 a yard. It is soft and comfortable and it reminds me of old sail mast. Plus it's thick enough that my current colored comforter will not show through the fabric. Then I will sew pretty pillow covers with various light colored and textured fabrics, as well as a few little burlap throw pillows.

I'll post some pictured soon!

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for stopping by Kensington Cottage! I just became your 3rd follower! I am looking forward to seeing what you do to bring the coast into your Colorado home. I have a friend, Jillian @ The Virginia House who did something similar. She always wanted to live in a cottage, instead she lives in a ranch style house, so she turned the inside into a cottage.
    I so know what you mean about it being hard to find coastal items in your area. Even though we only live 4 hours from the beach, there's not much here either. I am going for a coastal style in my living/dinning room, only instead of the traditional whites and pale blues, I am using fall colors. Basically, like the Maine coast in the fall. Does that make sense? Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can make this I will be so impressed! I've always loved that bedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your bio and the premise for your blog. We're a large single income family too. It can be a challenge at times, but I've loved being home with my kids.
    I look forward to seeing the things you come up with. I also grew up on the coast, and we have quite a bit of it here in our home. My hubby still surfs too :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia
    P.S. Yes, that little pink sewing machine is mine. The one I featured in the post is actually a working toy machine and my very first sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there ,
    thanks for all your comments the more the happier , the bricks are veneer so quite thin maybe a little thicker than normal tile , I am willing to be a quinea pig for this project , but it is a huge job so not sure if I will get my way in my kitchen but in my work room I WILL try it , I think it will be rustic and charming
    for the basket light I thought it looked crazy so I stopped , it was worth try

    ReplyDelete