Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Pretties...

Today I decided to do some cheap shopping at the thrift stores and antique mall. I made some money sewing some little girl twirly skirts, and boy was that $30 burning a hole in my pocket!

I had to remind myself what I wanted. You see, I always had an eye for pretty vintage things, but I would buy every pretty little vintage thing I could afford. Which is what got me to this funny little hodge podge scheme I have now. It's not awful looking, but I want a "theme" if you know what I mean-- that theme being bringing Charleston here to my home. So I kept my eyes open for all things shabby chic or beachy-ish.

Well, that's a challenge in Colorado because there's all this Native American, Ranchy, and Southwestern type decor, so that's what you find in thrift stores and antique malls around here. There's no French inspired decor, that's for sure. And forget the Coastal Chic. But it's about getting creative, isn't it? Working with what you've got, and doing it on a budget, in my case.

Today I found some treasures! I found sand dollars, about 6 of them, for $1.50. I got a big shell filled with little shells for another $1.50. I found a rocket ship mirror for my boy's room for $2-- and it goes with their space themed room (which I'll share picture of later). And... Drum Roll... I found a brand new Chandelier for $15! It's so pretty, little, dainty! And it's never been used, still in its original packaging. Who does that!? Who buys a pretty chandelier like this and drops it off at the thrift store? I'm not sure, but boy am I glad they did!



Earlier this week I was taking my daughter to school and saw a cabinet on the side of the road, buried under some old lumber and yard trash. It's yard clean up week in my town, so everyone is putting their junk on the road. I kept trying to talk myself into knocking on the owner's door and asking if they minded me digging through their trash pile, but it took me 4 days to get the courage. I finally did it, and the home owner even helped me load it into my van. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, besides paint it, fix the door (there's a door that fell off), put some wood on the back (maybe beadboard) and sand it up to age it and shabby chic it up. I'll figure out where to put it after I get it looking nice... One man's trash...



Oh, boy, am I getting over my head with projects!? This week I got a chair to reupholster, a cabinet to refurbish, and a chandelier to wire... That's on top of all of the rooms that need painting (I have RED walls in my dining room, ACK!) and the pillows I need to sew for my new bedding. Oh, geesh. Anyone want to come over and help? Bring your paint clothes and a brush, k? :-)

4 comments:

  1. I agree- who buys such a sweet chandy then takes it to a thrift shop? Oh well you scored. And I would have taken the cabinet too. I used to be so embarrassed to stop and take stuff from the trash- but you get over it I promise. Heck you become proud to show people your amazing piece of furniture- listen to them oooohhh and ahhhh then tell them you got it from the trash and then they say, " oh you have such vision I could never see it being like this."
    I'd put some feet on the cabinet to elevate it a bit..maybe find some cool fence posts in the fence section with the screw already there and then screw them in.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tammy! I hadn't thought of putting feet on it, just new knobs and a back. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have some great finds. the cabinet is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cabinet is so cool! Good for you for getting the courage to ask! (and really, the worst they can do is say no.) But look at what you have now! It will be fun to see what you do with it.

    That chandelier is pretty sweet, too.

    ReplyDelete